This week I was able to be part of a ceremony in honor of teachers. This was a first for me; A ceremony honoring me! Teacher appreciation in the past has come from the building PTA. They would arrange lunches, coffee machines and at one school I taught at a massage chair in the teacher's lounge. I have also worked at schools where the day goes unnoticed due to no one wanting to organize it. The biggest difference between my past teacher appreciation events and the one in Thailand, was this one had a huge emphasis on respect.
The profession of "teacher" in Thailand is held in the same consideration as doctor and lawyer. Parents and students hold a high honor for what we do and have to say. One way of showing this regard is through the wai (bow).
![]() |
| Orchids. Love them. |
It was a special thing to be able to be apart of this custom. I wish my fellow teachers in the States could feel the way I did after the day. Maybe I need to bring this tradition back to the American school system when I head back.
![]() |
| Jasmin leis. My house smelled awesome. |
![]() |
| I have decided I need to have fresh flowers around more often. They are also cheap to buy. Less then a $1 for a bunch. |






No comments:
Post a Comment