Thursday, March 28, 2013

Easter Mission


I start to feel a little homesick when a holiday is approaching.  I find myself longing for things. They are things that if I were home, I most likely wouldn't care about them.  The closer it gets to the holiday, a mission to find them becomes stronger and I become obsessed.

Easter brings the mission to find jelly beans, Cadbury Mini Eggs and Peanut Butter Cups shaped like an egg.
I set out on my quest Wednesday night to Fashion Island (mall).  The place is large and each time I go I get overwhelmed. I never find what I am looking for and come home annoyed because it seems that everything I do here is such a process.  This mission, I decided to head out alone so little feet won't me hold me back.  I had a short time limit to look for my goods and I was starting to know the lay of the land. I went with high hopes.

After a couple hours, I had found Jelly Bellies, settled for normal Peanut Butter Cups, and decided that the Cadbury Mini Eggs were a battle I was not going to win.

While I sat in the back of my taxi with my treasures, which included plastic eggs, I ate my normal Peanut Butter Cup.  The sugary taste reminded me why I don’t cave and eat them when I am home (don’t get me wrong they are awesome).  I realized that the deprivation from living so far away from my norms can make me a little crazy.  I also realized that even though this won’t be my “normal” Easter, the kids don’t really care and the Easter bunny will still make a visit to Thailand.  We also have a community who make the best of what we got and wonderful memories are still made.

One egg hunt down, another to go, we will have Easter baskets and church Sunday and our little family brunch will make this Easter not the same, but still great.

RIS School Egg Hunt:.
I made Liam his basket with one of the classes I serve. 
The egg hunt was sponsored by RIS Seniors.  Liam got to join Amelia's class and he LOVED it.  You would have thought it was his class.
The prizes for finding eggs.
They are so cute.
Looking for eggs
Found one

No comments: