Crazy! We have now been in Singapore for over a month now. Routines have started and all of us are starting to figure out the ins and outs of at least the area we live in. I have found where to get good meat, baking items, the closest mall, how to get around (fast vs. cheap), and a lot of other little things that making living easier.
This past month has also shown to be true when they call Singapore "Asia Light". For Asia, it is the closet place I can find to a Western civilization without having a Target or Costco. Where Thailand is the "Wild West" of Asia and anything goes, Singapore is orderly and predictable. At times I may say boring, but it is also comforting. Having young children, I can definitely say why it is one of the best places to be an expat family. It is safe....just follow their laws.
I find it ironic that the initials and what most people refer to the Ministry of Manpower is MOM. Singapore government is a MOM. It is always watching and making sure you do it right and it's in the system. The first couple of weeks the hoop jumping was driving me crazy, but like child birth, now that it is over, we are enjoying just being here.
The one thing I am struggling the most with is how expensive it is here. Being someone who is cheap, I struggle rationalizing paying big bucks for things I know shouldn't cost much. Singapore is living up to its title as most expensive city in the world. The perk? Everything is imported and I can find most anything I want or miss. I just have to find it for the right price.
I have struggled to find things to post about that are interesting while we are here. I promise to search, but you may have to be a little bored as I figure it out.

No comments:
Post a Comment