Monday, February 9, 2009

On the day you were born...

Over the weekend Wade and I welcomed Amelia Ann Koning into our family. She was born at 10:34 Friday night, weighing 7.5 lbs, 21 inches long and all 10 fingers and toes accounted for. The day February 6th has been changed in our lives forever. While going through the process of labor and delivery, Wade and I talked about how each year on this day we will have to tell Amelia her birth story:

"One the day you were born, I was in labor for 28 hours. It started the night before while out to Mexican with friends. I came home and started tracking the contractions. Around 11 that night I decided they were far enough apart that it was time to go to the hospital. We arrived around midnight and they sent us home around 1:30 with two Ambiem due to not enough progress from my weekly check-up with the doctor. I was told I would either sleep or be up all night. I was up all night. With each hour the contractions got worse and worse. Finally, in the morning I couldn't take it any longer and called the doctor and asked if I could go in NOW! They said yes. At 9:00, February 6th, we were back at the Childbirth Center at St Joesph's Hospital. I was admitted. I was supposed to get an epidural right away, but due to the arrival of an emergency C-section I was the last priority. I waited for 3 more hours feeling it all!! Around 11 I had the epi and life was good. We hung around for the day. Sleeping, talking and visiting with family. At 7 that night it was time to start the pushing. However, during this time a "window" of pain opened up. I couldn't get it fixed because every time I moved to have the epi even out you didn't like it. I had to stay on my right side. So my right leg was REALLY numb and the feeling in my left came back. After pushing for 3 hours and you still weren't here. At this point they called the doctor in to see what the next step was. He watched a couple pushes and decided to bring on the vacuum. He said we would give it three more contractions and then it was off to get a c-section. Again, I could still feel my right side. They strapped me in, got the vacuum attached and did a snip here and a cut there. Contraction 1: nope. Contraction 2: nope. Contraction 3: nope. But, a 4th contraction started right away...the doctor reached in (literally reached in) and was determined this was going to be it! He got the head out and saw that you were sunny side up. The contraction stopped and the doctor had to move your whole body around and cut the umbilical cord that was around your neck. This combo was what was making you not able to get through that final part. Once done and one more push we welcomed you to this world 10:35pm. You didn't really cry, you just sat and looked around. We were all very tired, but extremely HAPPY!" The Koning Family: Wade, Karli and Amelia. Right after delivery.
Dad and his new girl. Wade has shown to be an awesome father. He does 90% of the diaper changes, has done all her baths, and is taking great care of me. He also is all about Title 9. All cleaned up and ready for some rest after the big day.

7 comments:

The Price Family said...

She is beautiful and what an amazing birth story. What a day! In those pictures Karli it doesn't even look like you went through what you did, what a trooper! Enjoy these early stages, Amelia is so precious...

Kris said...

Congratulations!! She is gorgeous!!!

Leslie said...

Congratulations! She is just beautiful, I'm so happy for you both. P.S. When Lisa called you we were all sitting in the car eating Good 'n Plenty's and listening with rapt attention! :)

Lindsay said...

Karli, you look great and Amelia is so darling!

Michelle said...

So happy she is finally here and you are both doing great! She is beautiful! So happy for you & Wade! :) Can't wait to meet her!

The Burrells said...

What a great story Karli. After reading this I realized I hadn't written anything down about Jacob's birth, so I wrote our own "on the day you were born". Thanks for the idea :) You were smart to write everything down so quickly because after 3 months some of the details have already gotten a little fuzzy. Congrats!

Lyndsy said...

Yay Karli & Wade! Amelia is beautiful and perfect in every single way! Plus can I just add that you are looking mighty fabulous for just delivering a baby? Can't wait to meet her hopefully soon! Lots of love to you both :)