Sunday, September 16, 2012

A little culture

There is no doubting that my children and I will not be getting exposed to different cultures and perspectives while on this little adventure of ours.  This weekend was proof.

To be able to teach in Thailand, I have to take 20hrs of Thai Culture and History for my Thai certificate.  Saturday, I finished the course.  It was long, but fun.  We learned some language, art, leisure, history and so much more.
Learning some Thai moves in Thai pants.  Like the Hula, Thai dances have steps that symbolize words or feelings.  I am sending my love to you all here. 


Liam made a new friend.  He thought he owned the place, walking around a greeting
 everyone.

Sunday, we were all invited to go to a dance competition by our nanny and her friends.  We packed up the kids, caught a taxi and learned a lot about Goma's culture and community.  We were greeted with open arms and treated like royalty. We had always thought that Goma was Burmese.  This is true, to a point.  Her family was brought to Burma from Nepal (think Mt. Everest) by the British to help fight a war.  They were then brought to Bangkok, where they have been for years.  After the war, they were given the option to go home or stay.  She and others stayed.  While at the competition, there was a film crew there.  I guess there is a documentary being made of the community and thier history.  Wade and I look forward to watching it some day and learning more. 

No comments: