The Thai given name is often patterned with the family name like the in USA. However, these names are often long and can change frequently (let's say a spirit tells you to change it. So you do). Therefore, an easier nickname is given to a person by their parents, holy person or other persons of importance. These names are the preferred name of Thais and it is what you use when addressing them.
Nicknames can come from many sources. For example, I know of someone named Ten. When asked why, he said it was because it took his parents 10 years to conceive. The owners of Chang beer (Chang means elephant) named their boys Jumbo, Little, and the English word Elephant. There are also names that fit individual personalities very well. Like the one who was naming the baby knew their personality already. For example, I know of a little girl named Mild, who truly is very mild.
There are times that I hear a name and I have to keep myself from reacting. To be honest I am getting used to hearing some very odd things. I also have to tell Amelia that I am not using potty talk because it is a name.
Here are a couple examples of names I have heard....
Thank You, Gumball, Internet (Wade's favorite), Plankton, Dragon, Force and Fame (twins), Poopy, Birdie, Golf, Great, Mighty, Look, and so many more.
Don't worry, we are still going with our given name and haven't acquired any nicknames (yet). If Amelia got to pick I know she would want to be called Princess and Liam would end up as Mister or Pinky (what Amelia calls him already at times).
![]() |
| Mister Pinky and Princess |

No comments:
Post a Comment