Monday, November 18, 2013

Run BKK

Last year I would have never imagined that I would be running in Thailand, especially a race.  People who know me, know that in the past I have been a runner.  I have ran a good number of races including some marathons, but there is something about Thailand that makes me shutter when I think about running here.  I think it has to do something with the morbid heat and 100% humidity.  But, I was talked into running the Bangkok 10k and it wasn't that bad...and even though it was probably the most disorganized race I have ran, it was a little enjoyable.
The 10k crew: Megan, Darcy, Me and Amy
Saturday late afternoon we all headed downtown to get our packets and stay the night.  This is because the race starts very early to beat the heat.  We were lucky the 10k's start time was 6am, because one of my friends who did the whole marathon started running at 1am.  
The night before we relaxed, got massages and ate Pad Thai and sticky rice from vendors for dinner.  We got as good as a nights sleep as we could.  That is because little did I know when looking for a place to stay, our hotel was in the middle of the protester's camp in Bangkok against the Parliament. Opps.  
My friends are already planning their next race.  I am still out for debate. 
We ran on the Rama 9 Bridge.



Through parts of Bangkok, including Khoa San and China Town.
This was a BIG race.  About 90% of the runners wore the shirts handed out.  This was a first for me. 
It was still dark when we started. 
Only in Thailand do you finish a race and you get a McDonald's sandwich.  Very healthy!

No comments: