Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Viet Nam

One of the perks of traveling is what you learn.  For example, while traveling in Vietnam, I learned it is really spelled Viet Nam.  I also learned that the Vietnam War is called the American War there. Who knew?

It is all about our perspective.  I was reminded that my perspective does not mean it is reality.

When my sister said she was coming to visit me when I had a week off of school I knew right away that we were going to go to Vietnam.  I had to talk her into it, but what a better place for me to see then with a sibling.  That is because for the past 33 years (34 years in a couple weeks), Vietnam has been a fixture in my life.  It has been the topic of many conversations and the reason for a lot of decisions.  The reason is that at the ripe ol' age of 18, my dad joined the US Marines and was shipped off to war in Vietnam.  

He was sent to the middle of Vietnam to Da Nang.  I also found out later that Wade's dad was sent to an area close to that called Happy Valley (or something like that, but is more like an antonym of what it was).  Today Da Nang and other areas of Vietnam are huge cities or beach side resorts.  I knew going I was not going to experience even a small ratio of what they did, but I felt that I needed to go as a homage for them (even if they thought I was crazy for doing it)

ReBecca and I did not make it to DaNang in the time that we had.  Instead we headed to Ho Chi Min (previously known as Saigon) and the beach town Mui Ne.  It was not the exact places my dad had been to, but I did get a feel of the country and its people.   We also did not run into any other Americans while there.  I know there must have been some, but unlike Thailand, we were not as prevalent. 

The beach was luxurious and wonderful.  It was definitely a vacation.  Saigon was crazy and adventurous.  The beach I would go back too, Saigon, probably not.  

It was a five hour drive to the beach.  The last hour I thought I was going to burst.  Driving was crazy and we almost faced death a couple time.  They also honk ALL THE TIME!!
I was amazed that even though Thailand and Vietnam are only an hour flight away, at how different they were.  Due to French colonization there is a European influence.  The bakery items were wonderful and the architecture had a Paris feel.  20% of the country is also Catholic and with each street turn there was another church.  They also drive on the "right" side of the street. 

The hardest part of the trip, but the most needed was going to the War Remnants Museum.  It was not as anti-American as I thought, but it was a reminder of how awful war is.  As my sister and I walked the exhibits in silents on the verge of tears, I completely understood why it has effected my life through my father the way that it did. 

After the trip, we were happy to get back to Thailand, but glad that we went to Vietnam.  We got to see a piece of history and learn a little more about perspective.  

Mui Ne is known for their kite boarding.  You spend the mornings on the beach, and by 1pm the wind picks up and the surf.  
Our beach bungalow.  My parents gave us money for the trip, so we were able to do it in style!!!

Mia Resort.  Awesome place.  I highly recommend staying here. 

There was a WIDE variety of foods to try.  Some illegal in the US. 
Items being sold on the beach. 
Dinner one night.
People had pet monkeys everywhere.  At first I was scared of them, but then I became brave, 
Beach drinks!!

View from our hotel in Saigon. 

War Remnants Museum.  A US tank left after the war.  There was a LOT of items left after the war.  
One of the reason the Vietnam War has influence our life so much is because of Agent Orange.  My dad was sprayed with the chemical and now has health issued due to it.  Also, as some people know, I have crocked fingers.  This is due to a rare bone disease that makes my bones look like Swiss cheese.  I have had a number of surgeries for tumor growth.  My dad and sister are convinced this is also due to Agent Orange. It has been found to pass from people who where sprayed to their children to cause horrible birth defects.  This section of the museum is dedicated to that.  For more information check this out from BBC: HERE
One of the best ways to get to know a culture is through food.  Here we are enjoying some pho.  We ate a lot of pho.  I love pho.
Pho
Everywhere you go in Saigon the streets look like this. 
Back in BKK before she heads home.  Thank you ReBecca for coming to visit me.  It meant more then you will know.  It is a memory we will have forever. 
Thank you Kyle and girls for letting ReBecca come see me for two weeks!


No comments: