Sunday, February 1, 2015

Traveling with Kids


I am not claiming to be a travel or a kid expert, but taking 2 kids on 3 solo (myself and them) transcontinental flights and many little ones between this past year (and more before that), I have learned a thing or two.   Let's just say that Amelia now asks if the flights we have planned are a "movie flight" (if so, how many?) To determine how long she will have to sit.

We started this lifestyle when Liam was just over one and Amelia three.  Most of my tips cover that age and older.  So far, toddler age is by far the hardest to travel with.  I have found that three and older can handle longer flights the best because of their level of understanding.  Traveling with kids is hard, but worth it to us.  It teaches them things I could never teach. 


Here is some of what I have learned beyond the typical...

Sit in the middle: Two kids next to each other and hours of sitting in one spot will never be a good thing.  An adult being in the middle also allows access to all the things needed under seats and helping with meals and drinks.  A spilled meal/drink is never a good thing when you are stuck in a small spot for a long time.  

Pack snacks: Airplane food sucks.  Asian airplane food is worse.   I still don't understand why a flight would ever have fish as a meal option. Most likely, you all will be served something that isn't your best meal EVER! Make sure to pack snacks that have some protein.   We like pepperoni sticks and beef jerky.  Crackers are also a must.  This last time I packed Lunchables.  I will definitely be doing that again.  Also, don't forget gum or suckers for the ears when changing altitudes.  

Headphones: Get kid sized ones that fit over the ear.  The buds/headphones given are way to big to fit little heads.  The headphones are also a must to keep iPads quiet on shorter flights.  However, realize that strings can get caught and tear the electrical wiring in the speaker.  This has happened a number of times with us and we had had to buy a number of pairs.  

Hand sanitizer...and wipes:  I totally believe when they say planes and airports are some of the dirtiest places in the world.  Also, not everyone you are traveling with have the same sanitary level as you.  We got fevers and a coughs after our last flight.

Limit carry ons: I use to try to fill every allowed inch I got up with stuff.  But now, the less I have to worry about when in transitions, makes less stress for me. I just put everything else into the belly of the plane.   Keep is simple.  I allow each kids one backpack full of stuff for the plane and they share a carry-on for blankets, Pillow Pets, and a change of clothes.  I then give myself a backpack for electronics and items I needed easy access to under the seat in front of me.  Too much stuff makes it hard to get on and off planes and especially planes that do not use a gate and you have to take a bus, shuttle or walk to the main area for layovers and customs.  

Preorder meals: Call a couple weeks before and do this.  They are still weird, but there will be some items that look edible.  During this time also order a vegetarian meal for the adults.  For some reason, the vegetarian option always seems better.  Children's meals usually are some take on pizza, pasta, or something like that. Also, bring a water bottle or cup with a lid to limit spills.  

Kids can have mileage plans: I learned this after we had done a couple long flights with the kids. You pay for a seat, they can have the miles. Just call and set them up.   Both my kids already have enough miles for a trip to Hawaii or Mexico.  I try to fly airlines that we can gain them with.  I heard of one family that saved their daughter's up and when she turned 18 they gave them all to her.  She was then able to travel when she was in college and no longer on her parents dime.

Extra clothes: If you have them, you will not need them.  If you don't, you will.  Liam puke on himself and me coming down this last flight.  I was glad we had a change of clothes.  Makes the long haul easier.  I also like face wipes to freshen up in the middle of long ones.

Blanket fort: You read it right...a blanket fort.  We make forts out of the seats using the blankets the plane provides.  Adds fun and privacy.  Also blocks the lights when they are turned on at random times.  For some magical reason, it calms my kids down.  We make a fort, turn on a movie, get cozy and BAM...they fall asleep.  Eye patches also help in this scenario.  

No comments: