Sunday, April 17, 2016

HKsevens

I am now a rugby fan.  I went from knowing nothing about it, to knowing the teams and players.   The games are fast and entertaining, while the players not sore on the eyes.   

Wet morning with a pitcher of my favorite drink. 
This turn of events happened a couple weekends ago when I met Wade in Hong Kong.   His company was the apparel sponsor of the HK Sevens.  This meant, I could stay in his room and get tickets to the games.   A couple other friends, who are legit rugby fans, joined too.   

The stadium
I spent two days living at the stadium and watching game after game with some entertainment thrown into the mix.   We responsibly drank pitchers of Pimms (the English version of Long Island), beer, and Bloody Mary's.  When hungry, it was meat pies and chips.   At night we joined the fans from around the world celebrating wins and mourning loses in the streets of Hong Kong.  
Half-time show...guess who?
I didn't get to experience the culture of HK, but I did get to meet people from around the world and learn about this awesome sport.   I have decided Liam is going to play and my goal is to spread the word about how cool rugby is in the USA. 

Go USA!  Two players in the background.  One is a gold-medal olympic rugby player, and the other plays for the New England Patriots on his "off-season".
The crowd getting started. 
Our friend Rory (he is from S. Africa) explaining the game to us.   

New Zealand vs. Fuji.   BIG boys!

No comments: