Tuesday, May 26, 2009

...get set, GO!

This weekend couldn't have been better. The weather and company was great for Ski to Sea. Saturday night, Wade and I hosted our teams pre-event BBQ. As a team we were able to enjoy good food, each other's company and start to prepare for the next day's events. Half the battle of the day is trying to figure out getting from each leg and cars.

Race day started early with a wake-up call of 4am. They close the road to the mountain at 7:30 and the race starts at 8:30, so we had to drop Amelia off with grandma and pick up grandpa, who was our official team photographer. It would have been fun to have Amelia see mom and dad race, but the day was to long for her and she is still a little too young to enjoy it. Would be no fun with a cranky baby and I know she would much rather have a grandma and me day!!

The race starts at Mt Baker with cross-country skiing a 4 mile loop (Tawny). Tawny then exchanged to Jake who hikes up the mountain and skied down to me for 2.5 miles. I then ran for 8 miles where I exchanged to Wade who road biked for 38.5. Wade then exchanged to the Koelher brothers in the canoe. Karl and Paul paddled for 18 miles on the Nooksack River, where they then passed to Mike on the mountain bike (14 miles). The race ends in the Bellingham Bay where the legend kayaked for 5 miles and ringed the bell to end our race. The team did great and everyone was awesome during their race: team 343.. I am already looking forward to next year (hopefully I am invited back) and hope to beat my time (1:05overall: 8:10 miles).
Karli, Jake and Tawny up at Baker waiting for the race to start.
Our first exchange. Waiting for Jake to slid in. Passing Wade on our way to the canoes. The brothers are off! Sorry Mike. We were in the beer garden during your leg. Sarah, me and Katie. Go drinking team! This is one of the BEST weekends in Bellingham. Seems to always have great weather and great times with friends. While waiting for the kayak we had a chance to meet up with good friends. Go Team Belly Timber (minus the brothers). Here we are at the finish line in Fairhaven. Thank you to all the families and supporters for helping us make the day a success.

To all you readers...you now have one year to get a team together. I've already sold the idea to Rask. She is looking for people to do a leg :).

2 comments:

Erin said...

Nice work! That sounds like so much fun and you guys definitely lucked out on perfect weather. Maybe I'll have to take Rask up on the offer to join her team for next year.

Team Gibson said...

yeah!! I am so happy it went well :) Looks like it was a wonderful day.