Monday, May 18, 2009

Teacher Dooms Day

You know the economy is bad when teachers are laid off. May 15th was a day of doom for many teachers around Washington State. About a month ago I received a letter from my district stating there was a "strong probability" that I would not be returning in the fall. For weeks I have been sitting and waiting for dooms day to come. Luckily for me it didn't. I will be able to keep my job as a special education teacher, but 64 teachers in my district, including 5 in my building, will not. To say the least...CRAZY!!

To celebrate me having a job and the great weather, Wade and I took Amelia on her first hike. She is now big enough to fit in the backpack and not fall through. We took her to Teddy Bear Cove, a hike off of Chukanut Drive. It's a short hike down into a private cove on the sound (so private it was once a popular nudest beach. I have been there and have seen people in the buff. Just ask Rask). Amelia and I played on the beach, while Wade tested out his new wetsuit and swam some laps in the water.


This weekend, Amelia and I also headed to Seattle to celebrate Tiffany and her baby boy due in July. It was so much fun to have breakfast with WSU friends and catch up (I wish my camera wasn't dead and I had a picture: hint, hint). At the brunch, three beautiful ladies came with baby bumps. It is so exciting to watch a whole new generation of Cougs come and grow!! Amelia and I also got to see Katie's new house. It is the cutest thing to say the least. I am so excited for her and can't wait to spend the night when I come south!!

No comments: