Monday, April 4, 2011

What did I agree to?

Dear Baby,

I want to let you know that I am a planner. I love to add things into my calendar. I like predictability, routines, and schedules. I am a list person. The feeling I get when something is marked off or completed is euphoric.

But, something happens to me when I am pregnant. I still have a calendar, a schedule and lists; however I let some of the planning out of my hands. For example, not knowing your gender. I can rationalize this because whether you are boy or girl, you are the one I am supposed to have. I just get to wait a little longer to hear the doctor announce it upon your arrival to the world. Not knowing doesn’t change a thing. It is life’s biggest secret and well worth the wait. I also get some kicks out of how it drives people crazy.

Now to the purpose of this letter, a pre-apology. I am not sure why I agreed to it, but I did. I gave your father your naming rights, boy or girl. With your big sister he had it if she was a boy. In that case I knew the name(s) he had in mind. They weren’t bad. With you….I have NO idea.

This is what I have heard thus far: If you are a boy your name might be Guy, Mann, or Buddy. I have also heard Gustaf. If you are a girl, your two year old big sister gets the name. That means your name might be Baby, Dora, Snow White or some other Disney Princess. Your Grandfather Fred is no better; he wants Farrell (like a wild pig or cat).

I promise I won’t sign the birth certificate if it is really bad. I will also try to come up with a really cool nickname if needed.

I have high hopes your dad will pleasantly surprise me/us. Nevertheless, if something does happen, just listen and make the song by Jonny Cash, “A Boy Named Sue” your anthem. What doesn’t kill you will only make you stronger!

Love you forever,

Mom

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Ha! Now I REALLY want you to have this baby, this name game is icing on the cake! Good luck! :)

Lyndsy said...

Ha! That is hilarious :) I like Gustaf!! I am sure it will be a perfect name for a perfect little babe!

Lspry said...

Fred kills me!! I want you to have a boy, but you know how badly I want the girl name to be the name we have discussed. I won't write it in case it is a secret. Can't wait to meet this baby in May...too far away :(w