Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Traveling with kids

I am not going to claim to be an expert of children or travel. But with the international travels we have been doing this past year, I have learned a lot. I thought I would share some of my learning...

1. Kid meals: When flying with kids, call the airlines before you board and order children's meals. It is way easier to get a 4 year old to eat a hot dog over Bibimbap.

2. Kid cups: The beverage service on flights is not the most kid friendly. Bring along sippy cups or water bottles that are spill proof. Keeps everyone cleaner a little longer while you enjoy your glass of wine.

3. Gifts: For each hour of travel I plan for one gift. These aren't fancy; A color book, small toy or activity set. The dollar store is the best place to buy these. The Dollar Tree has a great craft aisle. You might not use them all, but best to be over prepared.

3. Treats: It may not be the best idea to get kids sugar high, but gum and gummy treats help relieve ear pressure. I flew once without them, and learned the hard way.

4. Pack extra clothes: You will get dirty.

5. Frequent flyer miles for everyone: There is no age limit to join the club. Might as well start accumulating them early.

6. Melatonin: I am not suggesting you drug children (consult your doc before), but when you need/want them to sleep, this is the most natural way to do so. Play with amounts before you go. I like the chewy ones from Trader Joe's (Amelia calls them her sleepy vitamins).  ONLY use them for up to 3 days after to aid in the reduction of jet-leg.  If you use it more, it could mess with your natural ability to produce the hormone. For other sleep issues, do under the monitoring of a trained professional.

7. Seat forts: I learned this one from Wade's cousin.  Use the provided blanket to make a fort out of your seat. Reduces sensory stimulation and makes the kids feel cool and that they are "playing".

No comments: