Saturday, January 24, 2009

Update...

This afternoon I went to the OBGYN for my weekly appointment. This week is when they start to check for delivery status and how things are going. While there things were going normal. They checked weight, iron levels, ect. When I saw the doctor he even checked my ears, nose, and cough due to a chest cold I have had all week. Nothing too exciting. He then started to check the baby and delivery status. Here is a reenactment of the conversation:

Dr: "Looks like you are having about an eight and a quarter pound baby"
Karli: "Really, already? I was 9.13. It's not going to be that big is it?"
Dr: "No, it will be about normal size"
Doctor proceeds to check other things.
Dr: "So, you are dilated about 2 cm, soft and the baby has dropped and is ready to go. I could make you a 3?"
Nurse and Karli: "No!"
Nurse: "Wade is in Russia right now and won't be home until Sunday. She can't go into labor until then."
Side conversation about Wade in Russia, Blah, blah, blah.
Karli: "Well, does this mean I may not be late? At some previous appointments it was looking like I was going to be late. I was actually going to ask you about when I could be induced. Wade is leaving Feb 28th for Dubai and I don't want to be too late."
Dr: "Well, You may be able to go next week."
Karli: "Um no, I am supposed to work until the 6th."
Dr: Laughing "You won't be working until the 6th. I am thinking you will be delivering this time next week. By the 30th."
Karli: "Okay!?!" (dumbfounded look)
Dr: "Well, things are going great. You're progressing perfect. I may see you in the hospital this weekend."
Karli: "No, I am heading to Seattle."
Dr: "Seattle? Well tell my friends at Swedish hello!" (Dr and nurse leave)

To say the least I left this appointment a little confused (not sure of what everything meant) and in a slight panic. I was NOT planning on having baby until around the 14th. LATE! I called my friend Anna for a translation of the conversation. She proceeded to insure me that you can be dilated for weeks and doctors are sometimes anxious/excited for the delivery. However, it is time for me to get ready for when it does. Once home she guided me through what I needed to pack for the big event. She then said I should put the car seat in the car just in case.

I have decided to take this whole experience as a warning that I need to get my butt in gear and this is real. So this weekend I am going to get READY! I need to find an outfit for Baby K to go home, I threw the car seat in the back of the car, and I started to pack a bag for the hospital.

BUT...don't you worry. I still plan on working until the 6th!!! I am thinking having the baby on the 7th would be nice (I am using the power of The Secret).

2 comments:

The Price Family said...

You are hilarious, I love the dialog! You better keep your legs crossed girl, that baby could come any minute, honestly... :) You should be doing some serious praying to have it last until Sunday!!!
Good luck, keep us all posted!

Lyndsy said...

Oh Karli!! I am thinking the 4th for you! I have my money on a girl and I know you will be fabulous in the delivery room! I will be following anxiously for updates! XOXO