Japan has been on my travel list for a while. So when I learned that ABAI was going to be holding it's conference there, I knew I had to go. I was also able to talk my co-worker and friend Sarah into joining me. With a weird holiday in the middle of the week, we decided to leave a day earlier so we could sightsee and stop in Tokyo on our way to Kyoto.
Japan is pretty amazing. The technology was something to be amazed with. Where else do toilet seats come with warmers, vending machines of ALL kids, and so much more? My goal for the trip was not just to learn at the conference, but also to eat as much as I can. I was successful and I think I put on 5lbs. I also learned that tofu an be made a variety of ways (sometimes even tasted like cheese) and don't have the aversive reaction to wasabi that I once had (I think it's because it seemed so much milder).
 |
| Shibuya Square |
We flew into Tokyo and took the bullet train to Kyoto. Tokyo is a big city and reminded me of New York. We stayed in a hotel looking down at their version of Time Square. It was rainy but people were still everywhere. We got it late and only had about a day there. We also met some SAS peeps and our old principal for an awesome Japanese dinner.
 |
| The restaurant a scene from Kill Bill was based in. |
 |
| Soba noodles, bacon wrapped asparagus, and tempura. |
 |
| My younger cousin Kaitlin has been studying Japanese for a while now. I asked her where to go before leaving. Harajuka was on her list. We didn't see any people dressed up (I guess they come out Sundays), but it was a cool area. Great shopping...especially for Halloween stuff. |
 |
| It's great to go out with people who know where to go. This is one of the many dishes ordered during the SAS dinner. I was brave and tried a lot of it. It was so fresh and good, it literally melted in your mouth. |
 |
| Salmon, avocado rolls. |
Kyoto is much smaller than Tokyo and does not have the high-rises. The hotel and conference was based in the Kyoto Station. It probably one of the most amazing train startions I have ever seen, We were able to get trains to surrounding areas with our off time and we didn't feel like we missed out seeing tourist stuff. This included the Kyoto Temple, Bamboo Forest and Geisha District. Again we ate and drank lots of good Japanese foods and beverages.
 |
| Temple on the hill. |
 |
| Coming down from the temple into the city center. There was lots of shopping for souvenirs and food. |
 |
| This are man powered. We never used one, but I thought they were cute. |
 |
| A side street. |
 |
| Geisha District: We saw three heading to appointments. That is one in white. |
 |
| The Japanese wear Kimonos as daily wear. They were so pretty. |
 |
| My coffee find at 7-Eleven. |
 |
| Park on the river. It was a beautiful day. |
 |
| A couple walking along the river. |
 |
| The maples were starting to change. They will be so beautiful when red. |
 |
| Bamboo Forest |
 |
| Lunch at a tea house in the park. Known for it's tofu. |
 |
| Wasabi! |
 |
| There was Geisha's at the opening reception for the conference. |
 |
| Sarah and I had to get pictures with them all. She was the tallest. |
 |
| Japanese technology: A photo booth that makes you "beautiful". |
 |
| We had a little too much fun with them. |
 |
| I discovered plum wine. I even brought some back. So sugary good. |
 |
| The food!!! Bacon wrapped avocado deep-fried on a stick. Perfection! |
 |
| Ramon! You can also get udon and soba noodles. So many noodles...and soy...and tofu...and food grilled on sticks. |
No comments:
Post a Comment