Thursday, November 1, 2012

Halloween Hangover

As a teacher, Halloween is not the best holiday. It is not because of the actual day, but it is the after effects the day after....the Halloween Hangover.

In college this had a different meaning. Now, it is the dull headache in the morning from a night of chasing kids, staying up late and coming down from that sugar high. Your hangover size determines how good your Halloween was.

I am struggling today. The funny part... living in a country where Halloween is not a holiday, my students are not. The school did celebrate with class parties and trick-or-treating, but it didn't stop there for us.

Amelia went to bed last night and the last things she said to me was "I LOVE Halloween." It made me so happy to know that an American tradition was not lost even though we celebrated across the world. Last night I decided that we live in the best neighborhood on this planet.
Amelia and her class.  The school hired a photographer.  I stole pictures again off the website :).



The elementary teachers got into the dressing up as well.  People made awesome costumes. 

For weeks my neighbors and I have been planning a Halloween fair/carnival for RIS staff and their families. Each house hosted a booth (I did face painting), the kids had a costume parade, leading into trick-or-treating and ending with a haunted house. We had over a 100 people come. Amelia and Liam consumed and got so many treats we are set for a long time. Of course I checked the haul and relieved it of it's chocolate.

I hope this tradition continues while we are here. I missed not going to the Fowlers house pre-festivities and going door to door with the Turrells, but in the meantime, we are still making good memories.
Spiderman and Spiderman 2
Pur carnival getting stated.
All the kids who came to celebrate
My attempt to get a photo with Spiderman.
I love this pictures.  Shows how much they really love each other.
Spiderman and his leading lady, Witch Lucy. 
My beautiful Cinderella.  Gma sent her this dress and accessories.  She was so proud and got MANY compliments.  Thank you Gma for helping make this Halloween special!

No comments: