Friday, August 3, 2012

It's been a week + some

We have survived our first week and we are still in Thailand. There has been moments I was ready to jump onto a plane back to my comforts, but after reminding myself that I have made the commitment to this adventure, I settle down. In this past week + some, we have started the process of creating new roots. I started work, we have moved into a house and Wade and I have cell phones.

There is a huge learning curve for us all moving here, but we have started to learn a lot. Here are some of the things we know...

Karli knows:
- carrying a kid in a pack on your back makes you very sweaty.
- the malls are huge and like a mini Disneyland.
- it is possible to get tired of eating Thai food. Especially when your stomach need some serious adjustments. Mexican sounds great.
- RIS is going to be a good place to work.

Wade knows:
- Thai food is spicier and hotter in Thailand. Many napkins have been used to wipe his face.
- the malls are his hell. Way too many people.
- Chaing beer is like Busch Light, Singha is a Bud Light. Beer is not sold on Buddhist holidays.
- technology hates him.

Amelia knows:
- there are lots of kids her age to play with. 15 kids on our street along with 2 being her age and in her school (we are in a school home, surrounded by teacher families).
- she has cool bedding with pink and purple hearts. She could spend all day in her room.
- you can smell Thailand and its not always good.
- she talks a lot about her grandparents and cousins. If they all come for a visit she has it all planned.
- there are swimming pools everywhere.

Liam knows:
- he could be a Thai superstar. Everywhere he goes little ladies want to hug, kiss and touch him. They get super excited when they see him. He also knows how to play into them by waving and blowing kisses.
- he has curls for the girls. Humidity plus sweat looks good on him.
- the milk tastes like half and half. He is still learning to like it.
Liam with some of his ladies.
The "lake" by our house.  It is full of fish and has a nice walking trail.  The clubhouse sits at the end.  it has a pool, restaurants and work out facility.
The front of our house.
The lake looking out.

5 comments:

rebeccajlooney said...

Great post! Liam looks so cute.

rebeccajlooney said...

Great post! Liam looks so cute.

Unknown said...

Is that your house?? Wow!!

Unknown said...

Oops the unknown was me, Robin!

Team Gibson said...

I love your posts. I may comment on every one. I need to figure out skype and those other sites so we can talk face to face. Your family is constantly in my thoughts and prayers. I am SO proud of you friend!